Home » Blog 3 » Blog 3 Almachi

Blog 3 Almachi

The kind of music technology that I have chosen is a musical format known as CD’s. “CD” stands for compact disk and it is one of the many ways that music can be stored. They are a portable optical disk that can be used to store audio or digital data. A According to an article by itstillworks “https://itstillworks.com/how-much-can-a-blank-cd-hold-10377.html”, they can store a maximum of 700 megabytes of data or approximately 80 minutes of audio. They were first introduced in the 80s by Sony and Philips. Although their capacity is limited, they are still being mass produced for new artists today. The way CD’s work is by having a number of indents within it’s surface. The only way to play a CD is through a CD player. With this player, it shines a laser over the disk and it is able to read the indentations. The dips and difference in height is calculated by the shinning of the laser and then is transmitted into binary code where only a computer can read.

I myself have used CD’s in the past when listening to music that my parents had stored away. I’d place the CD in this machine that also played the radio and I’d listen to whatever my mom had at hand. Some people nowadays might say that CD’s are old technology while others may disagree. New and coming artists tend to release their albums and still have a vinyl or CD set available for purchase. An example of this could be the album “Harry’s House” by Harry Styles. He released this album earlier this year and made it available digitally, in Vinyl, and CD. The artists do this so their fans can be happy with what they have produced which then leads to more sales. All in all, it’s always for the fans.

1. Here’s a CD-related fun fact: when the disc was originally being designed, they decided how big to make it (in other words, how much music to fit on the disc) by using the length of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony: 74 minutes.

Library OneSearch

Enter your search term and click Search to find an item in the CUNY catalog.

April 2024
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  

This course includes Open Educational Resources (OER), which are entirely cost-free and accessible online. Developed in the Open Knowledge Fellowship at The Graduate Center's Mina Rees Library, this work is made possible by state grant funding through the Office of Library Services.

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.